It might not be the first drink that springs to mind when enjoying a bowl of pasta, but our collab with Northern Pasta Co. has produced a beer which not only incorporates the same ancient grain spelt used in their pasta but also locally foraged samphire, lemon thyme and grains of paradise.
Brusilli is a spelt gose, a classic, light summer ale traditionally brewed in Germany. With locally foraged samphire, lemon thyme and grains of paradise, Brusilli is a delicately balanced, easy drinking beer, with notes of citrus, spice and a gently saline tang.
Northern Pasta Co. founder Imy has developed a recipe to pair with our beer, a hot smoked salmon and samphire fusilli pasta dish.
Ingredients – Serves 4
- 450g pack of Northern Pasta Co. Fusilli
- 200g smoked salmon
- 200g samphire
- 2 large cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp Aleppo pepper
- 100ml extra virgin olive oil
- 100g of Italian hard cheese
- Fresh basil to serve
- In a saucepan bring 4 litres of heavily salted water to the boil
- In a separate large non-stick frying pan, fry the garlic and Aleppo pepper in the extra virgin olive oil
- When just cooked, add the washed samphire to the pan along with the smoked salmon, gently sautéed for a few moment over a medium/low heat, to wilt the samphire.
- Cook the fusilli as per packet instructions.
- When cooked, add the drained fusilli to the large frying pan containing the garlic, Aleppo pepper, samphire and smoked salmon, reserving a half cup of the pasta water.
- Stir the pan while gently adding the grated cheese, and pasta water to achieve a smooth, emulsified consistency.
- Add the fresh basil and salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately with a cold can of Brusilli.
You can buy your cans as well as our Brusilli Fusilli combo on the website now, in all of our bars (Kendal, Penrith and Chorlton) and at the Royal Oak in Cartmel as well as being stocked at Tebay Services. Grab a can while you can!